Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Say WHAT???

This past week contained no shortage of examples of the ignorance and stupidity that causes so many of us to be turned off by politics these days. Whether you are left, right, libertarian, or somewhere else on the political spectrum, no doubt there was something said last week by someone that made you cringe. I can't decide on the worst statement, so I'll just list them here and let you be the judge. Here are the entrants:

Pat Robertson: "They [the Haitians] got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said 'We will serve you if you will get us free from the prince.' True story. And so the devil said, 'Ok it's a deal.' And they kicked the French out. The Haitians revolted and got something themselves free. But ever since they have been cursed by one thing after another."

Seriously Pat – "true story"?

Rush Limbaugh: "Yes, I think in the Haiti earthquake, ladies and gentlemen -- in the words of Rahm Emanuel, we have another crisis simply too good to waste. This will play right into Obama's hands -- humanitarian, compassionate. They'll use this to burnish their -- shall we say -- credibility with the black community, in the both light-skinned and dark-skinned black community, in this country. It's made-to-order for 'em. That's why he couldn't wait to get out there. Could not wait to get out there.'

Rush Limbaugh (again): "We've already donated to Haiti. It's called the U.S. income tax."

Yes, we have Rush. And if you want to argue federal policy on foreign aid there is a time and place for that. But when a nation is in crisis and people are dying by the minute, making a statement that suggests to your listeners that they should not donate to Haitian relief organizations is not just ignorant and cold – it's just plain stupid.

Ed Schultz (liberal radio host): "If I lived in Massachusetts, I'd try to vote ten times. Yeah that's right – I'd cheat to keep these bastards out. I would. Because that's exactly what they are."

Just to make sure he was clear, Mr. Schultz started off his Monday program with an apology: "I misspoke on Friday. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I meant to say, if I could vote 20 times, that's what I'd do."

Classy.

Anthony Weiner (New York Democrat), speaking regarding the fate of the health care bill if Scott Brown wins the MA Senate race: "We're going to have to finish this bill and then stall the swearing-in as long as possible."

Boy, that "change of tone" we were promised in Washington is almost palpable now, isn't it?

Sarah Palin, looking like a deer in the headlights on the Glenn Beck show when Beck asked her who her favorite founding father was: "All of them."

Hmmm... Now where have we heard that before? Oh, yeah, when Katie Couric asked her on the campaign trail which newspapers she reads.

Danny Glover, blaming the Haitian quake on global warming: "I hope we seize this particular moment because the threat of what happened to Haiti is the threat that could happen anywhere in the Caribbean to these island nations, you know. They're all in peril because of global warming, they're all in peril because of climate change and all of this.... When we look back at what we did at the climate summit in Copenhagen, this is the response, this is what happens, you know what I'm saying?"

No, Danny, I really, really don't.

Keith Olbermann of MSNBC: "In Scott Brown we have an irresponsible, homophobic, racist, reactionary, ex-nude model, teabagging supporter of violence against woman and against politicians with whom he disagrees. In any other time in our history, this man would have been laughed off the stage as an unqualified and a disaster in the making by the most conservative of conservatives. Instead, the commonwealth of Massachusetts is close to sending this bad joke to the Senate of the United States."

Very constructive Keith. Should win a lot of people over who disagree with you. What was that saying again about catching bees, and honey…?

The Marxist-Leninist.com, regarding the U.S. military's relief efforts in Haiti: "The U.S. military's mission is to preserve the reactionary social order for U.S. corporations and to protect the wealthy few. [They are just] worrying about maintaining their military might."

Bingo. Don't be fooled by the marines handing out food and water to disaster victims. It's all just an evil ploy.

George Bush, while raising money for Haitian quake relief: "Just send your cash. One of the things [former President Clinton] and I will do is to make sure your money is spent wisely."

Don't get me wrong – no matter what you think of either of them, I think it's great that both Bush and Clinton are out there trying to raise money for relief. Seriously. But still, I couldn't help notice the terrible irony in President Bush promising to spend my cash "wisely."

I'm not big into ripping into other people for their statements, or mis-statements – God knows I've said enough stupid stuff in my life. After all, we're all human. But when I saw the onslaught of ignorance and silliness I saw over this past week, I simply couldn't let it go by without some commentary.

Thanks for reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment