Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Trillion

My 3 year old daughter used the word "trillion" last night. "Did she just say 'trillion'?" I astoundedly asked my wife. Yes, she had. Apparently earlier in the day my little one had asked her mommy what "the biggest number" was, and my wife told her "trillion."

When I was 3, the word "trillion" was not part of the normal vocabulary. When I was just 6, Ronald Reagan spoke eloquently about the word "billion", trying to explain just how big a number that is. Now "billion" is nothing.

So thirty years ago, "trillion" was a number that just never came up in conversations related to government spending. Now "trillion" is simply one Congressional bill. In fact, it's entirely possible that we will have two Congressional bills in this year alone, that both come close to or eclipse the "trillion" dollar absurdity.

Here's to hoping that my grandchildren, or great grandchildren, never have the word "quadrillion" become part of their normal vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment